Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A quick introduction

I've lived in Prescott, Arizona, on and off since 1967. It is a curious place for the arts. I don't know if much art is bought here, and most galleries cater to tourists. Aside from being a beautiful place with small town attributes, it offers an interesting "advantage": walking down the street you do not see the latest art that is selling. In major art markets it is easy to find your own work drifting towards what you see others doing and away from what you've been doing. I say advantage, but it is also a disadvantage. The creative process needs fertilization--new ideas, techniques, problems, and solutions. It is harder to get this in a small town.

Although I've been doing collage and collage related visual art since well before I moved to Prescott permanently in 1989, I have been doing it steadily since then. My website, wm-arts.com, has many examples of my collage work.

No comments:

Post a Comment